Tuesday, July 29, 2014

BRCA1 and the Adventures of Pete the Cat

This is the first post in a series.

My sister by another mother, Rita, found a lump in her breast a few months ago.  This lump turned out to be cancer and was resected.  She started to undergo chemotherapy.  Being the rockstar that she is, she changed her work hours to 10 hours days Monday-Thursday so that she could get in her full 40 hours and save her sick days.  Chemo on Friday.  Sicker than snot on Sunday.

My fighting friend.



What happens when it turns out you have BRCA1?  You fight like there is no tomorrow.  You put on a brave face and kick cancer's butt.

Yet what happens while under chemo another, new lump is found and your lymph nodes are swelling?  You fight even harder. You. Do. Not. Give. Up.

Rita recently underwent a mastectomy and will be undergoing radiation until September.  She will then most likely have a different chemo cocktail since her lymph nodes have been invaded by cancer cells.  Please keep my "sister" in your thoughts and prayers.



I feel like, as a friend, I am not able to do much.  I cannot go through surgery for her.  I cannot take her chemo.  Instead, Pete the Cat the Cancer Mascot was born.  At the Melting Pot no less when we were throwing a "bye bye to the ta-tas" party.  It may not be much, but every day I text Rita pictures of Pete doing random things.  A daily reminder that I am thinking of her.

Updates on Rita can be found at: http://www.gofundme.com/6q7bj4

Here are just some of the photos I have sent her:

The pic on the left was taken at The Melting Pot where
Pete the Cancer Mascot was born.

















Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. When I was doing chemo and feeling pretty bad for about five days post chemo I really looked forward to the daily calls I got. Keep it up with the cat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Pete the cat! I wish your friend all the best. Never, ever give up.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I read each and every single one of them.

Cecostomy Tubes R Us

Here we are - two posts in 30 days! It's scandalous, I tell you!  Seriously though, I bet you all thought that I abandoned ship and woul...