Monday, July 22, 2013

"I want mama"

It was a bit garbled and a bit rushed.  Yet, I heard it.  I understood it.  I swear to you that I did.

"I want mama" exclaims my four year-old daughter Ellie.  Her little arms stretched up and her bright blue eyes pleading for me to lift her high into my arms.


In the past 4 years, Ellie has only uttered a handful of words.  Of those words, only seven of them can be understood by someone other than me or Andrew.

mama [clearly the greatest sound in the world!]
dada
papa
BALL!!!!
car
yeah [yes]
no

Everything else is more like a jumble of consonants and vowels--eeeee, buh, hard K.

"I want mama"

I heard it. As did Miss Leslie. Meaning that I didn't imagine it or construe Ellie's jargon into what I wanted to hear. I struggled hard not to cry so as not to alarm Ellie Bear.  Yet, I sit here now, barely able to see the screen, as I cry those tears of happiness and amazement.  I don't know when or if I will hear that sweet, beautiful sentence again, but I am so happy to have been there during her therapy session to witness it.

This mama is proud of you little Bear.






Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Love! I'm so happy you had that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray!! That is SO exciting and fun. I would have cried too. Keep it up, Bear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would totally make me cry. I sometimes get the impression that my bear cub is the only one that isn't speaking still.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, heck, **I** am crying. I was crying already about kindy, but this just sent me into ugly tissue territory.
    Our girls are growing up!
    Hugs, mama.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I read each and every single one of them.

Cecostomy Tubes R Us

Here we are - two posts in 30 days! It's scandalous, I tell you!  Seriously though, I bet you all thought that I abandoned ship and woul...