Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Top Parenting Blog

I was completely taken by surprised when I opened up my email to see "You've been selected as a nominee for the Top Parenting Blogs Award".  This award is through eCollegeFinder, which is an online education resource that represents over 120 online institutions.  Many of the students who frequent eCollegeFinder are mothers and fathers who have returned to school.  I can only imagine how difficult it is to juggle a family and college.  I can only imagine the stress and the need for support these students face.

This nomination is such a great honor and I would like to share with you the answers to the two questions eCollegeFinder has asked.



How would you describe your blog to readers of our site?

The Chronicles of Ellie Bellie Bear is a parenting blog written by a pediatric nurse practitioner and mother who is striving hard to be the best parent that she can be to her daughter Ellie who happens to have Down syndrome and Sensory Processing Disorder.  The Chronicles of Ellie Bellie Bear illustrates day-to-day living and includes medical information, inspiring stories, and the amusing antics of a toddler, a DIY husband, and 3 frisky pets.

What inspirational words or advice can you provide our student parents?


My advice is have reasonable, but high expectations.  You are stronger than you think so do not sell yourself short.  When I received Ellie's diagnosis of Down syndrome and later on Sensory Processing Disorder, I was lost, confused, and overwhelmed.  However, I rallied and tried to be the best parent that I could possibly be.  Watching my daughter as she worked so hard to hold a toy, to crawl, stand, and then walk, I learned, from her great determination and motivation, that she and I can do anything.  Yes, things are difficult at times, but the reward is amazing and worthwhile. Try your best, have high expectations and you just might be surprised by all you can and will accomplish.

Photobucket

5 comments:

I love your comments and I read each and every single one of them.

Cecostomy Tubes R Us

Here we are - two posts in 30 days! It's scandalous, I tell you!  Seriously though, I bet you all thought that I abandoned ship and woul...