Friday, July 9, 2010

Scavenger Hunt, Wheel Barrel, Obstacle Course


Best Buddies



Helping Me Take Out the Trash

Sounds like fun, right?  Well maybe, you will have to ask Ellie because that is her therapy.  Well, not the scavenger hunt part.  That part is for me.  I am on a mission to locate the perfect sturdy box or container or something, anything that will allow Ellie to sit with her feet flat on the floor and knees at a 90 degree angle. 

We have a large dumpster in our driveway. . . again.  Every year we order the huge dumpster from Captain Hook for spring cleaning (Andrew's cleaning.  He is a pack rat).  It appears that all of the Ellie-sized boxes might have been tossed into the dumpster and are now a moldy mess (it has stormed).  It is like Goldilocks & the 3 Bears.  I have containers like tupperware and cupcake pans that are too short.  Then I have diaper boxes and plastic containers that are too tall.  Finally, in the media room I found a box that is "just right"--the right height, sturdy, and large enough for Ellie's butt.

Jan, the developmental therapist was at our house today.  She is very impressed with Ellie Bear's skills and has thus decided to modify Ellie's Gross Motor Goals 3 months early.

New Goals:

1. Crawling on all 4s (as in no more inch-worming)
2. Pulling herself up to a kneeling position
3. Strengthening the right-side of her body--she favors the left so much for rolling over, bathing beauty, getting into a sit and for reaching toys will on tummy.  She does bear equal weight on the right so she is not concerned.

Methodology:

1. The Wheel Barrel:  Ellie will strengthen her shoulders and arms with this new move.  Her lower body (hips and legs only) will be draped over my lap and the upper half will be supported by the Bear's arms.  Exciting toys for reaching will also be involved.  To encourage the use of her right-side, I am to use my hand to lift her left hip, thus shifting her weight to the right.

2. Bigger Obstacle Courses: In addition to my legs, toys, and the boppy pillow, new items will be added to Ellie's obstacle course.  She is now to crawl over couch cushions and pillows to reach exciting toys.  It is important to note that I must hide all toys, but one or she will just say "eh, I will skip this obstacle and just grab this toy here".

3. Tug-Of-War: This "game" with strengthen Ellie's right side of the body.  I am to dangle a toy on her right (we do this already), but now I am doing static tugging movements.  Ellie is supposed to tug back.  Right now Ellie just decides to roll over or scooch to another toy.

4. Raised Sitting: Ellie is to sit on a box (see beginning of blog) with feet flat on the floor and knees bent at a 90 degree angle.  Right now I have to stabilize her hips but eventually she is to sit all by herself.  I am to have her reach down for toys and pull herself back up.  She is to reach up for toys without toppling either.

All I have to say is the Bear-Bear is going to have abs of steel.  I couldn't to the wheel barrel if my life depended on it.

Language:
We are still working on waving "bye-bye" and the sign for "on".  We are continuing with the flashcards for "m,p,b,d,w".  She is now saying "wah wah" which makes me think of Wawa, the Philadelphia convenience store.  My mom likes to think she is saying "Awa".

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like Ellie will be able to keep up with her relatives in the military!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I read each and every single one of them.

Cecostomy Tubes R Us

Here we are - two posts in 30 days! It's scandalous, I tell you!  Seriously though, I bet you all thought that I abandoned ship and woul...