Thursday, January 28, 2010

Otorhinolaryngologist



I am so excited!  I am getting ready to roll over :-)

When I first started nursing school, I did not know how to pronounce otorhinolaryngology.  Never did I think I would actually specialize in it for a time.  I definitely didn't think I would ever take my daughter to a doctor who specializes in something is so hard to say/pronounce.  Otorhinolaryngology.  Sounds big and scary, right?  I assume that many people before my time thought the same thing and now Otorhinolaryngologists are better known as ENT or ear, nose, and throat practitioners.

Today Little Bear had an appt. with ENT.  Children with DS tend to have narrow ear canals and narrow passageways.  They tend to have hearing problems.  Additionally, due to abnormal palates, mouth cavity and tongues as well as enlarged tonsils and adenoids, they can go on to develop obstructive sleep apnea-- a condition where they periodically stop breathing while sleeping.  (Everyone who shares a room with a snorer beware! Listen for gasp of interruption of the loud snores with silence).



So here is the low down:

Mouth: normal

Nose: slightly narrow passageways but patent

Ears:  right ear very narrow with decreased ability to fully view the ear drum.  Left ear severely narrow with no visualization of the ear drum.

Hearing: Passed Newborn Hearing Screen in hospital.  Assumed to be normal due to response to sounds and my voice.  For instance, Awa Grandma may be feeding the Chunky Chicken and I walk into the room.  If I so much as say one word, Ellie Bellie recognizes my voice and stops eating to look around for me.  See, good hearing :-)

We are scheduled to see ENT again in 3 months to recheck the ears.  As Ellie grows, so do the ear canals.  Now if she were to get an ear infection. . . I wouldn't know.  Seeing as none of us can see the ear drum.

Photo: Courtesy of hearingaidscentral.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and I read each and every single one of them.

Cecostomy Tubes R Us

Here we are - two posts in 30 days! It's scandalous, I tell you!  Seriously though, I bet you all thought that I abandoned ship and woul...