Sunday, January 24, 2010

E-Trading with the Comp U Baby


The American Academy of Pediatrics has a series of position statements that are used to help us health care providers educate our patients and their parents.  One such statement focuses on the use a of media.  It is recommended by the AAP that children under 2 years of age should not be exposed to TV, but rather waking hours should be geared towards parental interaction such as singing, reading stories, etc., thus maximizing child development.  There are of course more statements for older kids and media with regards to obesity and violence and whatnot.  However, I cannot find anything about computers and infants.  I am pretty sure that a child under 2 years of age should not be on the internet.



This is a 4 month-old infant learning how to type.  She is using the CAPS lock button on the blog.  She also enlarged the picture of Amelie and Sophie in the cardboard box from one of the earlier posts.  I like to refer to this as "Occupational Therapy" with a focus on "Fine Motor Skill Development".





]








Please note the parent-baby interaction in the photo above.  Here is the father "educating" his infant by reading an internet blog post.  She is also learning a foreign language from her father--C/C++.  I like to refer to this as "Bonding" and "Language Therapy".

2 comments:

I love your comments and I read each and every single one of them.

Cecostomy Tubes R Us

Here we are - two posts in 30 days! It's scandalous, I tell you!  Seriously though, I bet you all thought that I abandoned ship and woul...