Friday, November 6, 2009

11.6.09 The Memory Keeper's Daughter


A while back I read this really good novel set in the 1960's called The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. I enjoyed the book so much and it was so heart-wrenching that I passed it around to the girls at ENT so that they too could read the book. This book has even more importance to me now.

http://www.memorykeepersdaughter.com/

T his stunning novel begins on a winter night in 1964, when a blizzard forces Dr. David Henry to deliver his own twins.
His son, born first, is perfectly healthy, but the doctor immediately recognizes that his daughter has Down syndrome. For motives he tells himself are good, he makes a split-second decision that will haunt all their lives forever. He asks his nurse, Caroline, to take the baby away to an institution. Instead, she disappears into another city to raise the child as her own. Compulsively readable and deeply moving, The Memory Keeper's Daughter is a brilliantly crafted story of parallel lives, familial secrets, and the redemptive power of love.
--taken from website 11/09

For those of you who do not like reading or lack the time to read, it was also made into a Lifetime movie. I have not seen the movie, but it is in my Blockbuster Que.

Ellie and I had a very important lunch date this afternoon. We met up with Andrew at Andiamo's Ristorante near IBM. It was extremely tasty and I have been wanting to go for a while now. Every fall the executive chef will feature are you ready?. . . .pumpkin ravioli! Yum :o)

Ellie is wearing her UT bow. Go Longhorns! Seriously--I am more of a Fighting Quakers fan but I do not have any UPenn stuff for Ellie yet. . .Go Red & Blue!!!

2 comments:

  1. Anna, I read the book last year....very moving...Well worth reading. Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want that picture of Ellie!!! Awa Grandma

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I read each and every single one of them.

Cecostomy Tubes R Us

Here we are - two posts in 30 days! It's scandalous, I tell you!  Seriously though, I bet you all thought that I abandoned ship and woul...